Sunday 20 January 2013

Kid Cudi, Michelle Williams and A$AP Rocky Speak On Depression & Mental Health**Youths


All that glitters surely isn’t gold when you are in the spotlight.   Over the past few years, we’ve mourned the loss of quite a few celebs, and although depression seems to be very common, discussions of mental health have been literally swept under the rug. It almost seems taboo to seek therapy or speak on being depressed in the urban community.
Fortunately, this week, three celebs have spoken out about their depression and how they were able to receive help which may open the door for more discussions on the topic.  In the latest issue of Complex Magazine, Kid Cudi (who has a bloody slit tattooed on both wrists) opens
up about battling depression and how he was able to seek therapy and medication.
He tells Complex:
A year ago I wouldn’t even go to a therapist or psychiatrist. But I gave it a shot. It’s working for me but it’s not for everyone. I’ve got some f–king problems. [Laughs.] It’s good for me to talk to someone who helps me see things. I had no other choice.
I was like, ‘Damn, I have to take a pill in order to be OK?’ It bothered me. That was a real good moment after I got off the pills. I started to feel like myself again. I was happy and s–t. I don’t need anything to make me feel good. I just need to get my mind in check and stop trippin’ on bulls–t. I need to stop letting motherf–kers break me down, and make me feel like s–t. I got to be a little stronger for myself and for my family and my fans. I can’t be out here like some simp, letting something beat me down and make me feel like a peon. It was about reclaiming who I am. It’s like ‘All right, let’s go. It’s time. F–k everyone.’ [Laughs.]
Michelle Williams, who is currently starring in “Fela! On Broadway” tells the The Huffington Post:
I’ve dealt with depression. I had to choose to get out of bed and do whatever I needed to do to be happy. We’re taught, ‘Just go to church and pray about it. The Lord is going to heal you. Well in the meantime, I believe God-gifted people, physicians, doctors, therapists — that’s your healing. Take advantage of it. Go see a professional so that they can assess you. It’s OK if you’re going through something. Depression is not OK, but it is OK to go get help.
Sometimes you’re going to wake up on the wrong side of the bed or some situation might have you down in the dumps, but you have to choose to be happy. I’m choosing life.
Currently, A$AP Rocky has a new album out that includes a song titled, “Phoenix.” On the track he raps, “Bloody ink on my pad spelled suicide/Michael Jackson even passed cause you scrutinized.” He recently told MTV:
Those are natural feelings that we all get sometimes. You hurt so bad and you’re going through so much pain to the point where sometimes you don’t even wanna live anymore.  That’s how a lot of people think, whether we’d like to admit it or not and that’s all I was showcasing. It was that emotion…suicidal kinda emotions. I’m not glorifying it at all, I’m just basically telling you that sometimes I have suicidal thoughts. And maybe I should seek help, or maybe it’s not that deep.
Recently Blogger Rahiel Tesfamariam for the Washington Post wrote in a story on mental health in hip hop:
Today, I charge us to think about how these songs give us rare glimpses into the darkness that haunts millions of people daily. It’s often too late by the time we know they’re suffering. But, like these artists, those plagued by emotional and psychological torment are often crying out for help and wondering if anyone cares enough to listen.
Definitely food for though

Read more: Necole Bitchie.com: Kid Cudi, Michelle Williams and A$AP Rocky Speak On Depression & Mental Health http://necolebitchie.com/2013/01/18/kid-cudi-michelle-williams-and-aap-rocky-speak-on-depression-mental-health/#ixzz2IXNcSDnM

2 comments: